[Fwd: Great day of west Slope birding]

  • cbpowers@lawmage.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2009

      Began the day leaving Crested Butte early to see the " Council of Loons".
      We did not find 92 Common Loons at Highline State Park but were happy with
      about 12.

      Between Highline and Mack in Mesa County we saw in addition to the Loons
      10 Western Grebes
      2 American Avocets
      1 Osprey
      3 Red-breasted Mergansers
      2 Loggerhead Shrikes
      4 Northern Shovelers
      1 Harrier
      Western Meadowlarks
      Western Bluebirds
      Canada Geese

      We drove to Robb Park on the Colorado.
      There we saw
      Franklin's Gulls
      White-throated Swifts

      We then drove and hiked the Colorado Monument.
      again the Swifts
      Juniper Titmouse
      Golden Eagles

      Lots of Kestels hunting from the wires. loved the sunshine...

      Blue Mesa where the Gunnison River flows in
      Common Goldeneye
      Common Mergansers

      Crested Butte update
      Rosy Finches still at our feeders Brown -capped and Grey-crowned
      Lots of Pine Siskins
      Cassin's Finches, the females are now arriving

      My husband Jim Masur and I took lots of photos and enjoyed meeting the
      Grand Junction birders and sharing the Shrike!

      Happy Birding
      Linda Powers
      Crested Butte