Highline on Sunday

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2009
      We left Ouray early today and stopped at Ridgway Res.  As Vic says few birds, we did manage a Red-breasted Merganser among common dabblers and divers, Pied-billed & Western Grebes also.  Just south of Montrose Kay spotted an Osprey flying above the river (county bird).  At Sweitzer we found four more Red-breasted Mergansers and one breeding Common Loon.  We hurried on to Highline for yesterday's 92 Common Loons and found only six (You should have been here yesterday).  Few other birds, Western and one Clark's grebe, no gulls other than Ring-bills with a fly-over by another Osprey.  Close to home an Osprey on the nest just west of Rifle.  The Great Horned Owl nest at the rest stop and the Bald Eagle nest were both vacant and Mamm Creek Ponds had only Common Mergansers.

      Lots of snow on the ground at home, it was a good choice to spend the weekend out on the road.

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs