Re: [wsbn] what does one call a large group of loons, anyway?

  • Steve Bouricius
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5 6:36 AM
      I believe the correct ornithological term is "toon", as in "a toon of
      loons".

      Don'tcha hear the music? :>)

      Steve Bouricius
      Palisade

      Dennis Garrison wrote:

      > a commitment?
      >
      > a giggle?
      >
      > Dennis Garrison
      > Paonia
    • Robin Nicholoff
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5 7:23 AM
        According to web site Birds of North America:  A group of loons has many collective nouns, including an "asylum", "cry", "loomery", "raft", and "water dance" of loons.

        Robin Nicholoff
        Hotchkiss

        On Apr 4, 2009, at 9:09 PM, Dennis Garrison wrote:

        a commitment?

        a giggle?

        Dennis Garrison
        Paonia

        Rediscover Hotmail®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it out.

      • pergrn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5 8:42 AM
          I call a group of loons a "yodel" of loons.

          or (based on the fact that their British name for a loon is a "diver"),

          one could use the term " a dive of loons"   or in a mixed species flock, "a diversity of loons."

          My two cents.
          Joe Roller, Denver

          Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.
        • Nathan Pieplow
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5 10:24 AM
            Or as Andrew Spencer put it in the October 2008 issue of Colorado
            Birds: "sheer loonacy."

            Nathan Pieplow
            Boulder
          • Ron Lambeth
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5 11:14 AM
              How about a Council of Loons (wisdom opposite of Owls), a School of Loons (probably smarter than their groups of food), a Lake of Loons, or simply a Lot of Loons?  There can be a small lot of loons or a big lot of 'em.  If we are being biologically correct the probable best name for a cohesive group of loons is "family", a Family of Loons.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5 3:07 PM