what does one call a large group of loons, anyway?

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2009
      a commitment?

      a giggle?

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia

      Rediscover Hotmail®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it out.
    • Steve Bouricius
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2009
        I believe the correct ornithological term is "toon", as in "a toon of
        loons".

        Don'tcha hear the music? :>)

        Steve Bouricius
        Palisade

        Dennis Garrison wrote:

        > a commitment?
        >
        > a giggle?
        >
        > Dennis Garrison
        > Paonia
      • Robin Nicholoff
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2009
          According to web site Birds of North America:  A group of loons has many collective nouns, including an "asylum", "cry", "loomery", "raft", and "water dance" of loons.

          Robin Nicholoff
          Hotchkiss

        • pergrn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2009
            I call a group of loons a "yodel" of loons.

            or (based on the fact that their British name for a loon is a "diver"),

            one could use the term " a dive of loons"   or in a mixed species flock, "a diversity of loons."

            My two cents.
            Joe Roller, Denver

            Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.
          • Nathan Pieplow
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2009
              Or as Andrew Spencer put it in the October 2008 issue of Colorado
              Birds: "sheer loonacy."

              Nathan Pieplow
              Boulder
            • Ron Lambeth
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2009
                How about a Council of Loons (wisdom opposite of Owls), a School of Loons (probably smarter than their groups of food), a Lake of Loons, or simply a Lot of Loons?  There can be a small lot of loons or a big lot of 'em.  If we are being biologically correct the probable best name for a cohesive group of loons is "family", a Family of Loons.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5, 2009