More Ouray and San Juan County Birding

  • immac@rof.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2009
      Today Kay & I traveled from Ouray over Red Mountain Pass to Silverton in
      the fresh snow, about 1" in Ouray and 5" in Silverton. The big storm
      forcast for Friday night fizzled out somewhere and roads were good. At
      feeders in Ouray we found many Evening Grosbeaks, one Pine Grosbeak,
      Cassin's Finches, and lots of more common birds. Only three Brown-capped
      Rosy-Finches today in downtown Ouray.

      Over the hill in Silverton we headed to 2nd and Mineral Streets. Early
      last year Andrew Spencer found Collared-Doves here (the first for San Juan
      County) and Mark, Lisa, & Brandon refound them a couple of weeks later.
      Since then Kay & I have been through Silverton three times for various
      reasons and have seached the town thoroughly for the doves without
      success. Today we could see a Collared-Dove on the wires at 2nd and
      Mineral from a block away. There were three birds there this morning.

      There was a flock of Rosy-Finches moving around Silverton while we were
      there. They briefly visited the feeders at 2nd and Mineral and then flew
      of in a swarm. After breakfast we refound the flock in the 1000 block of
      Blair Street. The birds were feeding behind a shop called "The Sun
      House". We got good looks from the alley, probably 150 birds, with at
      least one Gray-crowned and two Blacks, no "Hepburn's".

      Also around Silverton, Pine Grosbeaks, Evening Grosbeaks, two
      Yellow-headed Blackbirds with the Red-wings around feeders (where is there
      suitable habitat for these guys around Silverton?) and county tick Spotted
      Towhee.

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs