LOONS

  • Jacob C Cooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
      Hi all,

      Larry Arnold, Sean McKee and I saw a flock of 92 Common Loons at Highline Lake
      today around midday. This number may have increased since as numbers 89-92
      flew in as I was driving out. The weather was poor but the birds abounded.
      Highlights included (in no particular order):

      LONG-BILLED CURLEW - my FOS flying east over the boat launch north of the
      campground
      FRANKLIN'S GULL - my FOS - two birds Larry spotted flying in from the south
      with Ring-billed Gulls
      RED-BREASTED MERGANSER - eight birds on Mack Mesa Reservoir; my FOS
      BALD EAGLE - one immature on the east side
      OSPREY - two birds
      REDHEAD - 45
      BUFFLEHEAD - 6
      WESTERN GREBE - 10? my FOS
      CLARK'S GREBE - my FOS - at least 2
      EARED GREBE - my FOS - 1
      CANVASBACK - 1

      Also of note was an Osprey in Fruita and another Osprey at the intersection of
      Q 3/4 road and 8 road. Overall, a great day of birding.

      Take care,

      Jacob Cooper
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009