Escalante Canyon (Delta) and Ouray

  • immac@rof.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2009
      Kay and I left snowy Glenwood this am and headed west and south. The rain
      let up south of Grand Jct so we visited Escalante Canyon. We found two
      Black Phoebes on Escalante Creek one upstream from Escalante Rim Road at
      the suspended irigation pipe and one downstream from Escalante Rim Road at
      the first concrete water diversion dam. These locations are about a mile
      apart and are both locations where we have seen Black Phoebes in past
      years. Lots of Say's Phoebes and Rock Wrens around, we missed on Chukar
      today. Our biggest surprise were six Desert Big Horn Sheep in one of the
      fields along Escalante Creek. The animals were noticably lighter in color
      than the sheep we have in Glenwood Canyon. Really cool!!! In Ouray we
      stumbled upon a large flock of Rosy-Finches near lake Lenore. Among them
      were at least 400 Brown-capped, 1 Gray-crowned, 1 "Hepburn's", and 1
      Black. This may have been Kent Nelson's house. If not, another birder
      who puts out lots of sunflower seed.

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs