Sandhill Cranes

  • Linda Reser
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 6, 2005
      Would someone please let me know when you notice the migration of the sandhill cranes in the Crawford/Eckert area.

      Thank you,

      Linda Reser
    • alsconnie
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 17 3:57 PM
        Andrea, thanks for posting this! We are in Moab tonight but coming back through Delta tomorrow.

         (We are closing on a bit of land in Austin near highway 65 and Iris road, overlooking the Gunnison, can't WAIT to get back to westernColorado!)

        I'll be checking out that spot if the timing works.

        Connie

        Connie Kogler
        Ivory Hill at Shenandoah
        Aurora, Colorado

        On Oct 16, 2017, at 10:24 PM, 'arobinsong@...' arobinsong@... [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Leaving Delta on hwy 50 heading to GJ we saw approx 50 SACR grazing in corn stubble near the highway.
        These are probably the first of Delta’s wintering cranes. By Christmas there should be between 2000-3000. There is good viewing all winter on G50 Rd and adjoining dirt roads from 4:00 to 5:00 pm. It’s better viewing in my opinion than in the morning when they take off in small family groups to go forage. They don’t leave all at once.
        It’s more dramatic when they gather in the late afternoon because they tend to travel in much larger vocal groups and it’s fun to watch them come in for a landing and to listen to all the gossip.
        There are also water fowl watching opportunities in the area.
        And you never know who you might bump into.
        Good Birding,
        Andrea Robinsong
        Delta County