Delta county today

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2009
      I wandered a bit in Delta county this afternoon, and found:

      canyon wrens and chukar (heard but not seen) at Gunnison River Pleasure Park (the goose is still on her nest, as well)

      Shoveler, cinnamon teal, bufflehead, mountain bluebirds, and an eared grebe at Sweitzer

      Ring-billed gulls (photo) at Confluence

      At least a couple hundred sandhill cranes came into Fruitgrower's around 430-5 pm.  There were six (or so) red-breasted mergansers near the dam.  I never got close enough for a decent photo, but others did.  There were cinnamon teal, gadwall, mallards, redheads, wigeon, ring-necked ducks... all over.  I saw both song sparrows and Lincoln's sparrows on the causeway, as well.  The cormorants and herons were in the rookery.  Red-tailed hawk, harrier, and a couple kestrels.  Flocks of red-winged blackbirds, and a raft of gulls in mid-lake.  Meadowlarks, ring-necked pheasant...  and so on.  NO shorebirds at all.

      OK, Spring is over, back to snow.

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia

      Windows Liveā„¢: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
    • Dennis Garrison
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2010
        After the snowfall last night, I couldn't bring myself to get up early and do anything useful, so late morning I drove down to Hotchkiss and picked up Andrea Robinsong for an afternoon of birding.

        On the way down I saw a rough-legged on a pole alongside 133, instead of the red-tailed I usually see there...

        In Andrea's yard there was a sharpie eyeballing the feeder, and a brown creeper in the woods below her house...

        We saw a single American pipit down at the hatchery...

        We saw a pair of chukars east of Fruitgrower's...

        She saw an American tree sparrow at Fruitgrower's.  I saw something that could have been one...

        We had a Bewick's wren playing tag with us along the causeway there...

        We saw an adult peregrine perched on a power pole at the Delta Trap Club...

        The screech owl was absent from its hole (or at least we did not see it on the drive-by)...

        There were a hundred plus cranes at the low spot near the refuge, and another hundred plus in a cornfield above the river...

        There were 75 cedar waxwings in a tree at Confluence, none of which magically became Bohemians in the spotting scope or camera.  Couple pics on www.photobucket.com/paoniabirds ...

        Two kids scared off all the geese at Confluence, except the one injured one they ran down and tried to stab.  The police showed up in a hurry and were discussing it with them, and mom, when we left...

        We saw a pair of lesser scaup in the river beside the boat launch at Confluence.  Pic posted...

        The river above the 50 bridge was full of geese, and assorted ducks...

        There was a GHO hooting near Andrea's when we went home...

        And the rough-legged was still on 133 at about MP5.

        Happy birding!

        Dennis Garrison
        Paonia