Loudy-Simpson Update

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005

      Hi All,

      I went back to Loudy-Simpson park in Craig yesterday morning (Sep 5) and saw all of the warbler species that I saw Saturday morning except for Yellow-rumped and A. Redstart (although Dona Hilkey reported seeing the redstart on Sunday afternoon—she saw 9 warbler species total).  I was able to study the Blackpoll at length (adult female I think) and got at least a brief look at a Nashville.  There were 5-10 Townsend’s again, but with at least one adult female this time.  I saw just one “Solitary” type vireo and the viewing light was so poor that I didn’t get a good enough look to determine whether it was Cassin’s or Plumbeous.

      I’m anxious to hear how others did over the weekend.

      Forrest Luke

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
        Forrest, et al.,

        Re: fall migration

        ACK!! lowest one-day species counts i've ever had at Connected Lakes in
        Sept, and i tried twice (two different days). either 1. birds are still at
        higher elevations (tho i've been looking in a few of those places with nada
        much more satisfying result), or 2. birds are avoiding GJ like the plague,
        or 3. this fall migration is more spread out (time-wise) than i'm used to
        seeing, or 4. it already happened and i missed it, or 5. it hasn't happened
        yet, or 6. any combination of the above, or 7. ???

        LA

        > I went back to Loudy-Simpson park in Craig yesterday morning (Sep 5) and
        > saw all of the warbler species that I saw Saturday morning except for
        > Yellow-rumped and A. Redstart (although Dona Hilkey reported seeing the
        > redstart on Sunday afternoon-she saw 9 warbler species total). I was
        > able to study the Blackpoll at length (adult female I think) and got at
        > least a brief look at a Nashville. There were 5-10 Townsend's again,
        > but with at least one adult female this time. I saw just one "Solitary"
        > type vireo and the viewing light was so poor that I didn't get a good
        > enough look to determine whether it was Cassin's or Plumbeous.
        >

        > I'm anxious to hear how others did over the weekend.
        >

        > Forrest Luke

      • Forrest Luke
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2007

          Hi All,

          There were very few migrants at Loudy-Simpson Park in Craig last night, but there were a few interesting individuals. The headliner was a Long-eared Owl (a post-breeding wanderer?). There was also a single Townsend’s Warbler and I finally got a look at Craig Dodson’s Northern Waterthrush at the footbridge. Otherwise, a few Yellow, Wilson’s and MacGillivray’s.

          Good Birding,

          Forrest Luke

        • Forrest Luke
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 25, 2007

            Hi All,

            I birded Loudy-Simpson Park with Craig Dodson last night and didn’t see too much out of the ordinary. I went back early this morning before meeting with some scouts to work on a merit badge with pretty low expectations. To my surprise, there had been a good migrant fallout overnight despite the nice weather. Maybe it was more related to the cold temperatures—it dipped into the high 30’s in Craig last night.

            The most unusual birds were a brightly colored Cassin’s Vireo that was actually singing and a female American Redstart (the worn tail feathers eliminated it as a juvenile). Other warblers included 40+ Wilson’s, 10 or so Orange-crowned and MacGillivray’s, 5+ Townsend’s and a Common Yellowthroat. A couple of Yellow Warblers were still singing but their numbers are rapidly diminishing. An Osprey and a Cooper’s Hawk are also hanging around the area.

            Craig and I went to the pond behind the county shop off 1st Street last evening and had decent shorebird numbers, albeit nothing unusual. Shorebirds included Spotted (1), Baird’s (10), Western (1), Least (5), and Semipalmated (3) Sandpipers, Greater Yellowlegs (2), Wilson’s Snipe (4) and Killdeer. Also present was a Snowy Egret, WF Ibis and several Wood Ducks.

            Best Wishes,

            Forrest Luke

            Craig