Rifle/Silt area

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2009
      Kay & I searched for raptors in the Rifle area.  Best birds, a Merlin perched atop the cliff above Cottonwood Springs (could be the same bird reported by Art in the past week)  and a Pygmy-Owl off Peach Valley Road near New Castle (in P/J).  We played a Saw-whet tape in the stand of mature Pinyon and Juniper to draw in passerines.  The only bird that came to our recorded owl was a lone Juniper Titmouse.  Back in the car again we drove only 100yds to find The Pygmy-Owl sitting on top of a Pinyon Pine.  Was he drawn in by the Saw-Whet recording?

      Other raptors and such: (Not a lot!)

      Bald Eagle - 4
      Red-tailed Hawk - 5
      Golden Eagle - 1