Northern Parula, Carbondale, Garfield Co, Tundra Swans Eagle and Garfield

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2008
      Hi all,

      Hi all, Got back from the UK late last night then had to go to Vail/Eagle Airfield today.  Took the opportunity to do some birding enroute.

      First off, stopped by Cerise Ranch Carbondale and relocated the juvenile Tundra Swan reported by Tom McConnell on 10th.

      Birding various spots on the Eagle and Colorado rivers and saw plenty of Common Goldeneyes but not much else.  An adult Bald Eagle perched atop a rocky outcrop at the east end of Glenwood Canyon, close to the Eagle/Garfield County line.

      In Carbondale I dropped in on Dave Clarke and he was thrilled at my timing because a NORTHERN PARULA at his yard had just reappeared about 1 minute earlier.  He had first seen the bird about two weeks ago. I was able to take a few photographs as it fed on crab-apples.  Dave said it was fine for me to post news about this bird, and hopes to be able to show it to visitors next week if it continues. In the meanwhile he is busy all weekend.

      I then called in at Spring Park reservoir (Eagle Co) and saw that the long staying juvenile Tundra Swan was still there (certainly a different bird to the one at Cerise Ranch on bill pattern alone), plus an adult swan asleep on the ice edge, presumably one of the 6 adult Tundras from earlier in the winter, but it did not wake during my visit so I cannot be certain.  There were hundreds of waterfowl still at Spring Park  (which is now 90 frozen), including many Northern Pintail, Gadwall, and American Wigeon.  I could not find any Barrow's Goldeneyes.

      Nearby at Crawfords Pond, El Jebel there were at least 11 Hooded Mergansers, including three adult males.  At Blue Lake, El Jebel, (50% frozen) there were just 3 Common Goldeneye, a Pied-billed Grebe, a few Mallard and a single Lesser Scaup.

      Good birding

      Dick Filby
      Carbondale, Garfield Co