first Rough-legged Hawk for me this season

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2008
      Wow.
      I stopped under a gorgeous female RLHA posted on a telephone poll. She
      allowed me to study her with my nocs at point black range for a minute
      or so before rising gracefully and flying away.

      Just after she left, a Kestrel landed on the wire near that pole. I'm
      almost sure it was a Kestrel, that was the strong jiz, but this gorgeous
      creature seemed to be a complete albino. I only had a brief look and I
      scared it back off the wire when I stopped, but I didn't see any
      markings. For a moment I wondered if it was a white dove when I saw
      it's lack of color, but when it took off, I was convinced it was a Kestrel.

      These beautiful raptors are on Fruitland Mesa above Crawford. I'm not
      sure if it's Delta or Montrose County, but I saw them along the road
      that goes directly out of Crawford up on the mesa.

      Good birding,

      andrea robinsong
      hotchkiss