San Miguel/Ouray Birding

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2008
      Decided to follow up on George Steele's sightings at Miramonte earlier
      this week. Left Glenwood early and got to Miramonte by 8 AM. Imagine
      my surprise - as I drive up the entire lake iitially looked forzen
      over. ooked like a long trip for nothing. Turns out there was some
      open water - thae lake was about 85 % frozen.

      Then I lucked out - In the limited open water, I found 4 Hodded
      Mergansers, 2 Common Mergansers, 2 Ring-necked Ducks, 30 Common
      Mergansers and 6 Bufflehead.

      On my back home at Ridgway, I also fund 1 female Red-breastd merganser
      and a Greater Scaup. I did nt refind the Red-throated Loon.

      I also unsuccessfully tried for the Pelican at Montrose.

      Vic Zerbi