thursday 12-4 delta county

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2008
      Ola, Birding Buddies,

      I have been hoping that we've all been gone or too busy to look for
      birds, rather than there aren't any to report, so last evening I took my
      first look since returning from SE AZ. [got the Sinaloa wren, cool song,
      even I can recognize it. Missed the sungrebe but had a startling good
      sighting of a Red-necked grebe, a bird that turns out to be only
      accidental in NM...and how come it was at Bosque in the same place as
      the Sungrebe...]

      Yesterday I only visited sweitzer, which I didn't scope as I could only
      see a few ducks and coots; Confluence, which appeared bereft of wild
      birds except geese and Common Mergs; and Payne's Siding, which had some
      birds worth reporting.

      I scoped PS around 4:45pm. Here are the birds that I thought of interest:

      20 Sandhill Cranes

      actively diving goldeneyes so I couldn't get a good count, but think
      around 10 Common Goldeneyes and maybe 4 Barrows

      1 fabulous male Hooded Merganser. Every time I get a good look at one of
      these beauties it takes my breath away

      several Blue-winged teal as well as many greenies

      Redheads

      1 female Greater Scaup

      Today I hope to get to Fruitgrowers and Escalante where SACR have
      wintered for many years now.

      Bird action has finally been picking up here at Kenpo Kee.

      4 species of finch are coming in greater numbers now...Amgo, Lego, Hofi
      and Pine Siskins [of course I have to attract the birds that like the
      most expensive seed]

      I have Downy and Hairy woodpeckers on the suet as well as White-breasted
      nuthatches. Thank goodness this year's big troupe of flickers hasn't
      learned how to get suet. yet.

      There are several pairs of Eurasian Collared Doves flitting about the
      feeding stations and the usual juncos.

      This morning my old friend the Sharpie returned to hide in the vines on
      the back porch, working on her technique for slamming juncos and finches
      into the window.

      Let's hope the colder weather brings more birds for our CBCs!

      Happy birding,

      andrea robinsong
      hotchkiss