now 7 Tundra Swans in Eagle Co

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2008
      Hi all,

      Just back from another great Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia trip..   Having been south for 18 successive seasons, the thrill never diminishes..

      Visited Spring Park Reservoir this afternoon and with the mild start to this winter was not surprised to find plenty of open water still (40% ) and a couple of thousand or more waterfowl..  Best were

      7 Tundra Swans - 6 adults 1 juv
      2 Barrow's Goldeneyes
      1 Hooded Merganser
      1 Bald Eagle (adult)

      I checked other ponds hereabouts (lower down in the valley) and found them almost totally devoid of waterfowl, save the pond at the bottom of our yard which now has 7 Hooded Mergansers.

      Good birding!

      Dick Filby
      Carbondale, Garfield Co