Thanksgiving Week-end west slope

  • Linda Powers
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2008
      Drove from Crested Butte to Breckenridge the long way over Black Mesa,
      through Crawford, over McClure through Glenwood and up to Breck. You
      know we had to be desperate for a road trip to drive that way.
      The most exciting sight was a Rough -legged Hawk south of Crawford
      reservoir. He flew in front of us as we were pulled over and alighted
      on a low fence post next to the car to eat his prized lizard? frog?
      Crawford Res. had only Canadians, Eagles abounded on the Gunnison
      River. Blue mesa Res. was still partially open and we saw 1
      Shoveler, A slew of Common Mergansers, Common Goldeneyes and several
      Bufflehead.
      At Breck we saw the usual winter seed eaters.
      When we arrived home we were greeted by snow and Rosies. We often find
      the best birds right at home. This morning I was happy to see 2
      banded BCRF . I have sent Kim Potter their bands and hope to learn
      more about these elusive beauties. Todays big flock, 200, had no Black
      but about 25% Grey crowned. They are such beauties.
      Linda Powers
      crested Butte