Delta Co. Birding

  • Jacob C Cooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2008
      Today, Jason Beason and I checked around Delta to see if there were any
      Barrow's Goldeneyes or other birds of interest. We started out at Sweitzer,
      which is largely empty now except for coots and duck decoys. At the campground
      was a flock of Mourning Doves and Jason heard a Bewick's Wren on the South
      side of the lake. Next, we checked out the bridge over the Gunnison River when
      Highway 50 first enters Delta. There, we had an interesting flock of 10
      Killdeer hiding on the shore near the Trailer Parks' propane tank and an
      extremely dark dark-morph Red-tailed Hawk. Next, we checked the gravel pit
      near Escalante SWA and found a male Ring-necked Phaesant in the middle of the
      road, some Green-winged Teal and had great looks at a Northern Shrike. We then
      decided to check out Confluence to see what could be lurking in the forest.
      There were loads of White-crowned and Song sparrows everywhere, along with a
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet, two Marsh Wrens and, surprisingly, three Blue-gray
      Gnatcatchers (we had four total today). The lake was largely empty this
      morning, but the geese showed up at about ten o'clock, and we managed to pick
      out two Snow Geese and a possible Cackling out of the 100-200 Canada Geese.
      Also on the lake were several Lesser Scaup, a female Ring-necked Duck and a
      gull that never let us get a good look (probably a Ring-billed). To wrap
      things up, we checked around the town of Delta and managed to scrounge up a
      Townsend's Solitaire. Though we failed to find any Barrow's Goldeneyes, it was
      an excellent day of birding.

      Good birding,

      Jacob Cooper