Birds on the move!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2005
      We had a Cassin's Vireo in the yard at 7:00 AM this
      morning. This is an early date for us by over two
      weeks. While looking at the vireo a Black Phoebe
      sallied out of the creek just across 5th Ave(our road)
      landed in our tree and ate a big, juicy insect. We
      hear Purple Martins around Nucla from time to time and
      have had them in our yard twice. Today we may have
      figured out where they hang out. The telephone company
      has a large tower at their office on main street. The
      martins were sitting up there after their feeding
      forays. We have lots of farm ponds and lots of
      dragonflies. I suspect that is what the martins are
      feeding on. Even with all the water this year we have
      almost zero mosquitos, dragonfly food.

      Note on George Steele's Nashville Warblers! Neither
      San Miguel nor Dolores counties have records for
      Nashville Warbler. Keep filling in those holes.
      Happy birding,
      Coen

      Yahoo! Mail