Second White-throated Sparrow Garfield County

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2008
      Dick Filby posted seeing a White-throated Sparrow at his Carbondale home this morning.  They happen occasionally in western Colorado, BOWC calls White-throated Sparrow "a rare fall migrant and winter visitor".  My records agree, I have seen them in western CO on only four occasions; winter '97 in Aspen (Pitkin), fall '99 at Mack Mesa Lake (Mesa), winter '04 Redstone (Pitkin), and late fall '06 Connected Lakes State Park (Mesa).  I had never seen WTSP in Garfield County and was very tempted to ignore the colds the Kay and I have been nursing a go to see the bird.  We chose to stay at home and not spread the rhinovirus throughout the Filby household, instead I studied the juncos at my feeders.

      Among the juncos this afternoon an adult White-throated Sparrow, tannish-white crown and supercillium streaks and bold yellow lores!  I don't know what the odds are of this are, but I think it may be a good time to go into town and buy a lottery ticket.  Also among the juncos a faded "pink-sided"-like junco with tan crown, nape, sides, and flanks.  The bird a fm Cassier's Junco J.h.cismontanus, was the first female I have noticed here.  Certainly that is because I have not looked closely as I have one or two male "Cassier's" winter every year.  Also there is a Bald Eagle perched in a dead tree across the river.  Not bad for day a home!

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs