Re: [wsbn] Delta and Mesa Counties today

  • forrest@trappermine.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2008
      I went over to Lake Catamount to follow up on Tom Litteral's sightings
      from yesterday. His four Tundra Swans were still there along with a
      Red-breasted Merganser and about a gazillion other ducks (mostly
      dabblers). It took me about an hour to find the RB Merganser (my real
      target bird), luckily, because when I was leaving I ran into Coen Dexter
      with scope in hand. He had just arrived from Stagecoach Reservoir.

      He informed me of his sightings there, which included two Surf Scoters, a
      Horned Grebe, a Herring Gull, a Common Loon and a gaggle (8 or so) of
      Barrow's Goldeneyes. I then beat cheeks to Stagecoah and rather easily
      found all of his birds except the loon. I also saw a distant grebe that
      had me intrigued but a little puzzled. I finally tagged it as
      unidentified, but if anyone ends up in the area, look out in the middle
      of the lake and with better light, who knows?

      I got back to Craig just in time to turn around and accompany my wife
      back to Steamboat to watch a play. These short days have my timing off!

      Forrest Luke

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2008
        Forrest, et al.,

        Ja! Daylight hours fly by too fast already!! I knew that Coen was
        roaming around up there somewhere and that he'd find some good birds. I
        neglected to mention that I have only seen five Surf Scoters on the West
        Slope, but four of them have been during the last week! Ey Yi Yi

        Larry
        GJ