Delta and Mesa Counties today

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2008

      I received two reports yesterday that the Red-throated Loon was still at Sweitzer, so I aimed my Little Mule in that direction first thing this morning and I wasn’t disappointed.  When I got there, Dennis Garrison was looking at the loon, and pointed out some American White Pelicans on the far end (we later counted 20).  Andrea Robinsong showed up in a few minutes and we were all treated to both a Common Loon and the RTLO, side by side, in the scope together for a great comparison.  I also saw one Barn Swallow foraging along the water’s surface.

      Andrea and I joined up for more birding…

      Confluence Park – nothing of special interest, a few Pied-billed grebes and lots of Canada geese

      Cheney Reservoir – ducks, grebes, and lots of coots

      Gravel pit ponds at the east end of C-141, just after crossing over the Gunnison River – nothing of note on the right side ponds, but on the pond on the left side of the road were a Common goldeneye, a Greater scaup, and two SURF SCOTERS…one of which was a juvie and the other was an adult male (a first for the west slope).  The latter was cause for much smiling!

      Jack’s Canyon (en route to Uncompahgre Plateau) – I was hoping for a late Williamson’s sapsucker, but had to settle for Townsend’s solitaires and Clark ’s Nutcrackers.

      Highline Reservoir – grebe spp, Ruddy ducks, Ring-billed gull 5, Common loon 4.  NOTE, however, that one of the loons gave us fits.  It was not hanging out with the other three, had very light/pale/white flanks (depending on light angle), the bill seemed relatively small compared to a typical Common loon, and there was no visible white around the eyes, all suggesting Arctic loon.  But I am not writing this in all caps because I thought I saw very faint neck markings of a Common loon; Andrea could not see this, so we left it as undecided.  If anyone gets a chance to study this loon, please let us know what you see and think about it.

      Mack Mesa Reservoir – Red-breasted merganser 3, Common merganser 1, all 4 moved over to Highline while we were there.

      Moi still smiling about that male SUSC!!!   =)

      Larry

      GJ

    • forrest@trappermine.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2008
        I went over to Lake Catamount to follow up on Tom Litteral's sightings
        from yesterday. His four Tundra Swans were still there along with a
        Red-breasted Merganser and about a gazillion other ducks (mostly
        dabblers). It took me about an hour to find the RB Merganser (my real
        target bird), luckily, because when I was leaving I ran into Coen Dexter
        with scope in hand. He had just arrived from Stagecoach Reservoir.

        He informed me of his sightings there, which included two Surf Scoters, a
        Horned Grebe, a Herring Gull, a Common Loon and a gaggle (8 or so) of
        Barrow's Goldeneyes. I then beat cheeks to Stagecoah and rather easily
        found all of his birds except the loon. I also saw a distant grebe that
        had me intrigued but a little puzzled. I finally tagged it as
        unidentified, but if anyone ends up in the area, look out in the middle
        of the lake and with better light, who knows?

        I got back to Craig just in time to turn around and accompany my wife
        back to Steamboat to watch a play. These short days have my timing off!

        Forrest Luke

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2008
          Forrest, et al.,

          Ja! Daylight hours fly by too fast already!! I knew that Coen was
          roaming around up there somewhere and that he'd find some good birds. I
          neglected to mention that I have only seen five Surf Scoters on the West
          Slope, but four of them have been during the last week! Ey Yi Yi

          Larry
          GJ