Other People's Birds

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2008
      Roaring Fork Audubon had our November waterfowl trip today.  Four of us showed up and we decided to skip the local puddles and look for OPB's that had been reported to the west of us.

      Over the hill from Silt we refound the Surf Scoters seen earlier this week by Larry and Andrea at Vega Res.  Also at Vega, four Common Loons, a lone Western Grebe, Ruddy Ducks, and a handfull of Horned and Eared Grebes.  The only gulls of the day were here also, a dozen or so Ring-bills and one California Gull.  We drove around the Grand Mesa to Cheney Res in hope of finding Tundra Swans,  instead finding a lake full of coots.  If I have done my math right Cheney Reservoir is about 5 acres and I figure around 7,500 coots.  That translates to around 1,500 coots per acre (CPA).  Also there were a female Red-breasted Merganser, a male Bufflehead and three Mallard Decoys.

      On to Sweitzer where we missed Jacob and Andrea by about an hour, the Red-throated Loon was loafing around on the north side of the lake, also another fm Red-breasted Merg.  Nothing to report from Confluence and little water with lots of beach at Fruitgrower's.  Nice trip with unbelievably warm weather.

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs