Surf Scoters at Vega Reservoir

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2008

      Andrea Robinsong and I met at Corn Lake this morning to check some of the puddles in Mesa County for fall migrants…

      Corn Lake and the Clifton WTP ponds on 32 Rd held quite a few Lesser scaup, Northern shovelers, and other expected ducks

      Colorado River Wildlife Area (CRWA) on D Rd held 2 Common loons and 2 Double-crested cormorants

      Shipwreck pond produced a Northern pintail and another DC cormorant

      Jerry Creek Reservoirs are still closed (now extended thru 31 Dec), but shhh! there are always back doors into these places, and here we tallied Common mergansers, Hooded mergansers. Canvasbacks, Redheads, a single Goldeneye, Ring-necked ducks, coots, mallards, and 2 Western grebes.  No Long-tailed ducks or Common eiders in sight yet.   ;-)

      Vega Reservoir looked empty when we first got there, but as we trolled the perimeter a few water birds revealed themselves to us… 1 Common loon, a “mixed flock” of grebes (1 each Pied-billed, Eared, and Horned were all in one view of the scope for great side-by-side comparisons), gull spp (Ring-billed, Herring, California), a small flock of Ruddy ducks, and 2 SURF SCOTERS at the far west end were close to shore and afforded great looks when they finally stopped foraging and started preening.

      Another perfect day on the planet!