casual birding - gunnison county

  • Bill / Cheryl Day
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2005
      Bill and I decided to do some casual birding this morning. We drove up the
      road that crosses muddy creek at the upper end of Paonia Reservoir. (only
      bridge there) We drove our Subaru, but a 4wd would be better.

      At 4.5 miles, we came to an aspen grove that was full of birds. Just
      everywhere you looked. No rarities, just a nice place to go to early with
      your thermos of coffee and watch birds.

      Lincoln sparrow babies were bathing in a small pool of water just off the
      road. Red-naped sapsuckers, downy woodpeckers and a flicker with young were
      all busy working on the trees (except for the young flicker, who just kept
      looking hungry and didn't move). Orange-crowned warblers seemed to be
      munching on some berries; maybe it was bugs on the berries, but through the
      scope it sure looked like they took a few bites.

      Once again, we saw a solitary lark sparrow; we saw one at the east end of
      Grand Mesa a few days earlier. I have no idea what they would be doing at
      that high an elevation. And there was, I swear, a least flycatcher. He was
      not that far away, and I will just say it - he just looked and acted like a
      least flycatcher. No noise, of course. But flicking his tail up just a
      little, moving constantly, his eye ring, and his beak (I think the least
      flycatcher has a distinctive beak) Not something I would write in to the
      records committee, but I felt it was a least. But I'm not going out on a
      limb and insisting.

      Anyhow, a nice road, one that had several habitats mixed together, but the
      most birds we saw was the aspen grove.

      Cheryl Day
      Hotchkiss