the heel

  • kathy kuyper
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10 12:54 PM
      Wow, do I feel like a heel!  Out living the high life up in Maroon Bells with Tom and Kay McConnell looking for those feckless black swifts, and then taking a little hike further up West Maroon and finding two more waterfalls (! with possibilities).  What do I find when I finally get back home to my duties?  A poor bereft adult male calliope sitting on my totally empty feeder in torpor.  Bill pointed upwards, back hunched, eyelids rolled up...  Too tired to get the little feather off his bill.

      Well, he was too out of it to even get off after I made the brew, took the feeder down and almost brought it in the door.  But he was looking at me and I was sure looking at him.  Soooo beautiful!  Finally I put my finger up to nudge him off the perch before I washed off the feeder!  He flew gently off.

      Well, hopefully he was the one who got the last drops out of the feeder.

      We did see two black swifts up in Maroon Bells, but way far away.  That little calliope was the treat of the day.