West Slope 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2008

      Not serious stuff, just for fun…

      West Slope 2008

      Seems like I have not been in western Colorado much this year, but have tallied 263 species to date.  Still, I am missing several resident spp and a few rarities that have been reported this year (for which I have given chase), or spp that will soon be reported…

      Trumpeter swan

      Eurasian wigeon

      Greater scaup

      Scoters

      White-tailed ptarmigan

      Broad-winged hawk – at Yampa Preserve 30 Apr

      Semipalmated sandpiper

      White-rumped sandpiper – near Paradox on 07 May

      Pectoral sandpiper

      Common tern

      Least tern – missed the one on 06 June at Rio Blanco Lake

      Boreal owl !!

      Northern saw-whet owl !!

      Blue-throated hummingbird – August, I was out of state, this one really hurts!!

      Scissor-tailed flycatcher – one day wonder on 28 May

      Cassin’s vireo

      Red-eyed vireo

      Winter wren – near Steamboat on 22 May

      Eastern bluebird – none reported since the GJ CBC?

      Varied thrush

      Northern parula – missed the one on 17 June on Sunshine Mesa near Paonia

      Black-and-white warbler – none reported this year?

      American redstart – at Loudy-Simpson on 24 May

      Ovenbird – at Liberty Cap Trailhead on 08 May

      Lark bunting – several reports

      White-throated sparrow – one on Surface Creek 31 May was a record late date

      Golden-crowned sparrow – one s. of GJ on Gunnison River 27 Apr

      Snow bunting – one report along C-13 may have been Dona’s before Jan 1st?

      Common redpoll – through 11 Jan near Meeker

      For my ongoing September list for western CO (cumulative for ten years), I have recently added American bittern, Bald eagle, Purple martin, Northern Waterthrush , but I still need Barn owl (interesting, huh?).

      Larry

      GJ