Toppermost Birds Recently

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2008

      At home on Sun-Mon 31 Aug-01 Sep – tons of hummingbirds at our feeders, three spp (all but Broad-tailed)

      Loudy-Simpson on Tuesday 02 Sep – Northern Waterthrush and Townsend’s wobbler were first-of-year birds for me, thank you Coen and Forrest.

      Oxbow Lake on the same date, 02 Sep – possible Least Bittern, answered my play-back clearly one time, but I could not get a repeat call from it.  So call it a “??” in perfect habitat (DeLorme pg 13-5D) where Sora and Virginia Rail were both on hand.  I don’t see why American Bittern should not be there as well.  Lots of Lesser Yellowlegs, a couple of Solitary sandpipers, and a few peeps.  Yummylicious mudflats and shallow water perfect for shorebirds and waders, but it was mostly a ghost town.

      Cheney Reservoir this morning 04 Sep – 17 spp including common ducks, long-billed Curlew 1, white-faced Ibis 3, northern harrier 1, western grebe 1, yellow-headed blackbird 2 flocks, lesser yellowlegs 4, northern pintail 3

      Harts Basin this morning 04 Sep – 52 spp including common ducks, Sanderling 1, Clark’s Grebe 1, Eared Grebe 15+ (juvies begging and being fed by adults), lots of pied-billed and western grebes, Golden Eagle 2, Sandhill Crane 10, 2 (both groups came in from the south), American white pelican 16, American avocet 13, lesser yellowlegs lots, American bittern 3 (although 2 could have been one and the same bird moving around, there were at least 2 different birds), Sora, Virginia rail, Black-chinned hummingbird, Rufous hummingbird, eastern kingbird 1, blue grosbeak 3, etc.

      Back home this afternoon 04 Sep – very few hummingbirds remain.

      Please turn ON fall migration!!   ;-)

      Larry

      GJ