Scouting for Delta County count this weekend

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2008
      Yesterday (9/1) I walked around Confluence Park for about an hour or so to see if there many migrants present in the park.  I found very few migrants and there were very few birds to be found.  There were many swallows (VG, Bank, Cliff, and Barn) flying low over the river catching bugs.  I didn't check the lake since I didn't have my scope with me.  Also in my yard yesterday it seemed that there were more birds than at Confluence.  The first Yellow-rumped Warbler of the fall was here along with several Western Wood-Pewees.  At least two Calliope Hummingbirds were visiting my feeders.

      This morning (9/2) I did a quick stop at Bethlehem Cemetery near Paonia and found a good number of migrants.  Western Wood-Pewee (many), Bullock's Oriole, Western Tanager, Plumbeous Vireo, Wilson's Warbler, Chipping Sparrow, and Gray Catbird were seen/heard.

      Jason Beason
      Paonia - Delta County