Hummer spike

  • PriestP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2005
      After visiting the yard of a neighbor about a half mile away who has three large feeders hung close together and four species of hummers dining in large numbers, I got a second mid-size feeder and added it to our back deck here in Colby Canyon outside of Cedaredge.
      In a day our numbers have jumped considerably:
      We're now seeing multiple visits during the day with probably no more than an hour of unoccupied "tables" during the day.
      The Rufous can no longer keep the Black Chinned away and we've had visits from both male and female Calliopes.
      Did not notice any Broadtailed although our neighbor has had several at one time to his collection of feeders.
      Since our neighborhood contains numerous residents with feeders spread up and down the valley we can notice the elevational distribution between the Broadtails and the Black Chinned with the major shift occurring at just about 6500 MSL.

      On our A.M. walk through the neighborhood we also saw several families of Purple Martins in the area of Ward Creek and some adjoining meadows.

      Paul & Verla Priest