birds while wandering, Delta and Gunnison Counties

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2008
      Spent the late morning and early afternoon on a trip up Stevens Gulch Road and out the 265/Highway 133 north of Paonia.  I needed to take a look at a nest reported in the aspen decline project near Windy Point.

      The nest turned out to be likely a red-tail nest, with no signs of activity, although I did see one in there in the spring, and one has been hanging around that area according to two of the CSU researchers doing plots in the aspens.  On the hike to and from the nest, however, I found a family of house wrens, a defensive white-crowned sparrow, three cavities occupied by tree swallows, two sets of defensive juncos, several western wood peewees, and a calling olive-sided flycatcher.

      Headed north, a male and female pine grosbeak and two chicks sitting in the road.

      North into Hubbard Park, two soaring Swainson's hawks, one close over the road and the other high to the west.  Dozens of bluebirds along the road as well.

      Overland Reservoir, spotted sandpipers and another Swainson's hawk.  The mosquitoes ate everything else.  Three red crossbills in the road just east of the reservoir.

      Dyke Creek lower crossing, a female broad-tailed hummer living within a willow clump.  Entirely, it appeared.  She seemed to be eating mosquitoes, thankfully.  Male was hanging around the outer edges of the willow, chasing off anything else that hummed.  Also a yellow warbler and a red-naped sapsucker in the same willow as the hummers.  More red-naped off to the east, tap-tap-tapping at the trees.

      And while talking to one of the flaggers for the pipeline construction, I saw a house wren enter a cavity with a mouthful of food.

      Lots of other common birds in passing.  Mundane, yes, but I have been starved for birds the last week or so.

      Happy birding.

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia

      Time for vacation? WIN what you need. Enter Now!