RE Moths

  • alice_m_newberry
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2008
      The photos are in an album under "Photos" tab. Alice Newberry
    • Adams Lodge
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2008
        Thanks, Alice, for posting the moth pics.

        I am interested to know if you got an id on it yet?

        Though I've never seen one, my first thought when I saw the photo was Ascalapha odorata,  the Black Witch.
        I visited the Moth Photographers site and bugguide.net and your moth appears to be a good match. I would be interested to know what response you get to your request for id.

        http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=4820 Gives a little info on the Black Witch that you might find interesting.

        I've  wanted to see one of these moths for a long time but don't believe they are often in Western Colorado. Great find!

        Thanks,
               Dona Hilkey
        Meeker, Colorado
        images at www.pbase.com/dhilkey

        The photos are in an album under "Photos" tab. Alice Newberry