any Empidonax experts going up on the Grand Mesa?

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2008
      If you are driving by and want to take a look, there is an Empidonax nesting on top of the porch light at the Mesa Lakes Ranger Station on the northwest side of Grand Mesa off of 65.  Go to the turnoff up into the lakes and campgrounds, park at the fisherman's parking lot to the right just after the fee sign, and walk down the road past the big brown steel gate.  Take bug spray.

      At this time I will admit my inadequacies when it comes to identification of these.  My inclination is Cordilleran, but I wouldn't put money on it.  She should be there a while, there were three eggs in the nest last night.  She is very tolerant of people (probably a good thing for a bird living on a porch light) but will flush when the screen door opens, usually.

      Photos at
      http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/empidonax1.jpg
      http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/empidonax2.jpg

      Dennis Garrison