herons at Fruitgrowers Res near Eckert

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2008
      Anyone else notice the abundance of great blue herons at Fruitgrowers?  I have yet to actually try to count them but a casual glance around lately shows thirty or more, and I got a photo today of twelve in a group on the W side of the lake.

      Any idea what they are eating?  I didn't see it when the fish kill happened, but I have to assume that some fish survived, or else there has been an infusion from somewhere.  I am almost certain I saw a sunfish of some sort go down a gullet last week.  Spillover from upstream ponds?  Bucket plant?  Or are they subsisting on something like dragonfly/damselfly larvae, tadpoles, salamanders??

      On another note, I almost stepped on a junco nest today, which contained a couple of the UGLIEST little chicks.  OK, they may be so ugly they are cute.

      http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/junconest.jpg

      also found a spotted sandpiper chick, and we got a Lincoln's sparrow to sit still long enough for a mediocre picture.  Not a bad day, all in all.

      Sorry, Jason, my boss's block trumps yours, especially when it is downwind of a fire!  *S*

      Dennis Garrison