high altitude cliff swallows

  • nic korte
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2008

      I finished a 3-day hiking trip in the flattops and was surprised to encounter foraging cliff swallows (many) at 11,500+ feet. We were near some steep cliffs (Chinese Wall) but the many swallows sailing over the tundra and dipping in a lake still partially-frozen were 2:1 cliff to violet-greens.  I didn't lean over the cliffs to look for nests. Saw ~ 30 species on the hike--all what would be expected but were lucky enough to encounter ptarmigan and brown-capped rosy finches at the same time/location as the cliff swallows and saw cordilleran and olive-sided flycatchers at lower elevation.
      Nic Korte

      Making the world a better place one message at a time. Check out the i'm Talkathon.