Black Swifts/ Hummers

  • suehirshman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hello,
      In Box Canyon now there are 7 Black Swifts incubating their egg, so its
      a good time to see the bird during the day. First egg was laid on June
      23rd which I have had eggs earlier than this date. The first chick if
      everything goes okay should be around July 20th or 21st. Yes, there is
      a nest with an egg very close for viewing, but the adult is still not
      sitting. The pattern was the same as last year. Keeping my fingers
      crossed that this egg will hatch with a successful fledging.

      I still have lots of Hummers, mostly Broadtails mixed with several
      Black Chins and a constant Rufous male. I have at least 30 to 35 birds
      mostly in early morning and right before dark. Its been busy since
      arrival of the B.T. on April 22nd. I feel lucky to have so many, but
      keeps me busy fixing sugar water along with going to Box Canyon.

      Most birds are nesting so feeders are not busy. I have the Band tail
      pigeons still coming to the feeder, along with some young.
      Cheers, Sue Hirshman