RE: [wsbn] trumpeter swans

  • John Toolen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2008

      My thoughts:

      “Someone” cannot introduce Trumpeter Swans because they are a federally threatened/endangered species, and it is illegal to possess them.   Any introduction would have to be done under the auspices of the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     I’ve not heard of any such proposal.

      More likely is that “someone” is planning to stock European mute swans or some domestic type of swan, and this is definitely not a good idea.   Mute swans in the Northeastern U.S. are causing ecological problems for native species.   I’m not sure if this is even legal.  Regardless of that, it shouldn’t happen.

      John Toolen