trumpeter swans

  • Shep & Mary Harris
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2 7:09 AM
      I just met someone who is planning on introducing a population of
      Trumpeter Swans into the Roaring Fork Valley. He already has a pair.
      Is this a good idea? This is the same person who was having target
      practice right under the osprey nest that has two small chicks. Any
      thoughts?
      Mary Harris
    • John Toolen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 8:30 PM

        My thoughts:

        “Someone” cannot introduce Trumpeter Swans because they are a federally threatened/endangered species, and it is illegal to possess them.   Any introduction would have to be done under the auspices of the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     I’ve not heard of any such proposal.

        More likely is that “someone” is planning to stock European mute swans or some domestic type of swan, and this is definitely not a good idea.   Mute swans in the Northeastern U.S. are causing ecological problems for native species.   I’m not sure if this is even legal.  Regardless of that, it shouldn’t happen.

        John Toolen

        I just met someone who is planning on introducing a population of
        Trumpeter Swans into the Roaring Fork Valley. He already has a pair.
        Is this a good idea? This is the same person who was having target
        practice right under the osprey nest that has two small chicks. Any
        thoughts?
        Mary Harris

        Checked by AVG.

        Checked by AVG.