still can't find a goshawk, but I did find...

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2008
      Spent a few hours wandering through an historic gos territory up near Overland Reservoir in northeast Delta County.  Found three of the four nests that were there last year, couldn't find the fourth.  No response to calls except one set of kaks that I am pretty sure were that gray jay I recall chasing around last year.   The mosquitoes were unbelievable.

      About ten meters from one of the old gos nests we found an aspen with a string of cavities up the south side.  In cavity #4, a pair of Williamson's sapsuckers were raising at least two (from the sounds) chicks.  A few feet below them in cavity #3, a mountain chickadee was in residence, with sounds of young coming from that cavity as well.  Of course, just a bit dark under the canopy for good pics, and no tripod.

      On the way up, I saw a mallard hen with a set of very young chicks in a beaver pond, at about 8500 feet.

      I took a look at the cliff swallow colony off of the 265 road near Buzzard Divide.  The nests had been knocked off over the winter and nothing was there a couple weeks ago, so I feared they had moved elsewhere.  Imagine my surprise today when there were 20 or so nests on a small rock face west of the road.

      I also found a purple martin colony along there as well, with about 8 birds flying around.  I found two cavities with martins and one with a tree swallow before I decided I had bothered them enough, although I suspect they are not too afraid of people as they are immediately adjacent to a campsite.

      Lots of sparrows down by the Owens Creek corrals, including savannah, vesper, and white-crowned.  Yellow warblers everywhere along the creeks.  Lots of incidentals as I was driving to and from, red-tailed, cooper's, sapsuckers, flickers, robins, mtn bluebirds...Downloading the camera now, might have some decent pics, might not.  Will see.

      Off to Cortez for the weekend, to see what I can see with Dad.  Happy birding!

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia