Broadtails

  • JoAnn Potter Riggle
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27 7:50 PM
      I have not heard a broadtail hummer in days.  what is going on?  So few hummers this summer.

      JoAnn in Eagle
    • Robin Nicholoff
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28 7:32 AM
        We had many, (up to 20?) Black chins and broad tails early but way fewer now.

        -Robin
        Hotchkiss

        On Jun 27, 2008, at 8:50 PM, JoAnn Potter Riggle wrote:

        I have not heard a broadtail hummer in days.  what is going on?  So few hummers this summer.

        JoAnn in Eagle

      • nic korte
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29 8:20 PM

          I just spent 3 days at our place above Collbran (8400ft) where the hummers usually drain our feeders about every 2 hrs or so this time of year. We filled them Friday night and dumped them out Sun night.  I checked 9 years of records and the only other time hummers were low (not this low) was another wet year with late blooming.  I spent most of the time in the woods either on this property or nearby and I was rarely out of sight or earshot of a broad-tailed. I suspect nesting is late--so fewer females and no juveniles at the feeders yet, and with so much blooming so profusely with many, many insects, the feeders just aren't so attractive.  I think they are here, but life is easy so why fight over some feeders? I'd be interested if others suspect fewer birds, but I think they are here.

          Other population notes (1) I saw no black-capped chickadees. I have some 30-odd lists for visits to this property in May/June.  Every year I've had black-capped chickadees.  This year, not a single one. (2) On the other hand, I have Swainson's thrushes everywhere.  Some years I didn't record any and when I did there never seemed to be many. Either they are much more vocal this year or they've found this place a lot more attractive than in the past.
          Nic Korte

          Need to know now? Get instant answers with Windows Live Messenger. IM on your terms.