Calliope Hummingbird

  • Arthur R. Dahl, Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 4:48 PM

      August 2, 2005  We had our first Calliope at the Dahl House feeders today.  Actually saw all four species of our West Slope Hummers today.  Glad I was home to see it.  Art Dahl, Rifle, CO

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2013
        At noon our first Calliope Hummingbird came to our feeders, an adult male.
        We have had several Rufous males, adults, since the evening of the 8th.
        There are Burrowing Owls along CO-141 about one mile north of Basin Store in
        Dry Creek Basin in San Miguel County. Also in San Miguel County we did find
        Lewis Woodpeckers, Purple Martins and Swainson's Thrushes.
        Good birding,
        Coen and Brenda
      • Steve Bouricius
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2014
        The heavy rain today kept our sugar water feeders busy with many Black-chinned Hummingbirds,a few Broad-tailed Hummingbirds, and Bullock's Orioles. We currently have 14 feeders out. This evening, May 11, at 6:13 p.m., we watched an adult male Calliope Hummingbird come to a feeder four feet from our front windows. The bird is still feeding here at 8:15, almost dark.

        This is the first spring Calliope we've seen in Colorado. I believe this bird, like the Rufous Hummingbird reported in Durango by Heather Morris on May 8, is a northbound migrant. Their occurrence in CO during spring is pretty rare. We suspect that some of the Rufous and Calliope Hummingbirds that pass through CO in spring are birds that have wintered in the southeast US, rather than Mexico. Many of our colleagues in the east and southeast states work throughout the winter to document and band western hummingbird species. They do remarkable work and probably band a good percentage of the western hummers wintering there. I think this increases the chance that spring Rufous and Calliope in CO will be wearing a band. We hope all will carefully look for leg bands on hummingbirds and report them as soon as possible. The information gained from verifying band numbers can provide a valuable piece in the puzzle of western hummingbird migration.

        Steve Bouricius
        Palisade

        Steve & Debbie Bouricius
        3412 C Road
        Palisade, CO 81526
        (970) 434-5918
        Hummingbird Orchards Banding and Research Station
        Peaceful Valley Field Station
        NABC Certified Master Banders-Trainers
        USGS Bird Banding Laboratory permit #23198
        CPW Scientific Collections permit #14BD834
        AZGFD Scientific Collections permit #SP562523CLS