Re: [wsbn] hummingbirds

  • reeran1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2008
      Numerous hummers at my Vail feeders.  I just returned from a bike tour to Difficult Campground above Aspen and then on to Redstone.  Hummers galore at both campgrounds feeding on the later blooming flowers/shrubs.

      Louise Randall
      Vail

      From: "JoAnn Potter Riggle" <japotter@...>

      We have almost no hummingbirds here, just south of Eagle.  We should have hundreds but we only have a dozen or so.  We do have many more Orioles then ever before including the Baltimore.  What is up with the hummers?  We really miss them.  There is also a Western Wood Pewee building a nest on our porch.

      JoAnn in Eagle

    • robinhenry76
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
        We haven't seen any hummingbirds recently at our feeders or flowers. Normally, we would have swarms. We definitely noticed fewer birds this year but now we have none. Is it just our yard or is this something that others are experiencing?
      • Shep & Mary Harris
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
          Everyone I talk to say the same thing. My theory - we had incredible June wildflowers.
          Mary

          On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM, robinhenry76 <robinhenry@...> wrote:

          We haven't seen any hummingbirds recently at our feeders or flowers. Normally, we would have swarms. We definitely noticed fewer birds this year but now we have none. Is it just our yard or is this something that others are experiencing?

        • Andrea Robinsong
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
            Where are you both located?  What type of hummers are you talking about?
            The earlier swarms of hummers may have been migrants passing through on their way to those great wildflowers.
            I feed breeding black-chinned and my numbers right now seem average.  When the broad tails first come back they spend weeks with me until the high country is ready for them..this year the last one took off around June 4...a- month ago.
            My first rufous woke me up 10 days ago but he didn't stay. Haven't seen any others yet.
            Last year my rufous count was way down.
            Are they spraying for Mosquitos where you live?
            Andrea Robinsong
            Hotchkiss

            On Jul 5, 2013, at 8:31 AM, "Shep & Mary Harris" <smnharris@...> wrote:

            Everyone I talk to say the same thing. My theory - we had incredible June wildflowers.
            Mary

            On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM, robinhenry76 <robinhenry@...> wrote:

            We haven't seen any hummingbirds recently at our feeders or flowers. Normally, we would have swarms. We definitely noticed fewer birds this year but now we have none. Is it just our yard or is this something that others are experiencing?

          • Debbie Tyber
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013

              I’m up in Breckenridge and my first Rufous showed up on June 28. More are showing up and the fireworks have begun though not too often, usually in the evenings.

              Debbie Tyber

              Breckenridge

            • Robin Nicholoff
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
                Lots of Broad Tailed hummers on the Kebler Pass road yesterday.

                still no Rufous at the farm.

                -Robin Nicholoff
                Hotchkiss