Routt and Moffat Birds

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2005
      I made a quick circle trip of Routt and Moffat counties today. After
      a 4 AM start, I got to Lake Catamount by 6:15. Best birds: Common
      Yellowthroat and Bobolink. Then on to Fish Creek Falls Park. A neat
      area that i had never visited before. Best birds: MacGillvray's
      Warblers and Townsend's Solitaire. Then I walked nearly the all of
      the Yampa river in Steamboat Springs looking for Dipper - no luck -
      too many people in tubes. Then I drove the back road behind Carpenter
      Ranch and found several Say's Phoebes. Still in Routt, I stopped at a
      Gravel pit marsh west of Hayden and found Marsh Wrens.

      Then, on Country Club Road, I lucked onto juvenile Sora, juvenile
      Virginia Rail, Solitary Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe and Wilson's
      Phalarope in one very small mudflat and marshy area. Forrest Luke
      then met me and took out to the Mines gravel pits along Hwy 13. Great
      stop: Greater Yellowlegs, Baird's Sandpipers, Western Sandpiper, Log-
      billed Dowitchers, and Savannah Sparrows.

      Thought about hitting Rio Blanco Lake on the way home, but it was
      already a long day.

      Shorebirds are clearly moving.

      Vic Zerbi