redstart at Loudy-Simpson

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008

      Hi All,

      I made a couple rounds of the nature trail at Loudy-Simpson Park in Craig on Saturday morning (May 31). It was apparent that spring migration had slowed to a crawl, but there was still quite a cacophony of bird song. The most interesting song was that of the previously reported first year male American Redstart. I noticed it is starting to get some dark feathering on the face and throat. I haven’t checked back, but it may be planning to hang around until it finally decides there are no female counterparts forthcoming.

      Other singing birds included at least one Willow Flycatcher and the usual riparian/marsh birds gang. The Least Flycatchers are really stingy with their vocalizations this spring and although I saw a couple of them, I never heard them call on Saturday.

      The White-rumped Sandpiper was not at WFMC Ponds on Saturday nor were any other shorebirds save the usual Spotted Sandpipers and a couple of lingering ibis (are they shorebirds?).

      I guess it’s time to move on to breeding bird atlasing.

      Forrest Luke