Four hummer species and Sandhill Crane

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2005
      Yesterday afternoon we had a adult male Calliope at
      our Nucla feeders. All four species are present with
      BCHU and RUHU the most common.

      While birding in Durango on the 11th we had a few
      hours visiting with Susan Allerton and Jim Beatty. We
      saw many Rufous and Calliope hummingbirds at the
      Fishers. Susan and Jim said the Rufous had been
      present for several days. The Calliopes had also been
      present for a few days. It seems to me these fall
      migrating hummingbirds show up at higher elevation
      first and move down into the valleys later. That could
      explain why Larry Arnold was at then end of the Rufous
      pipeline. Grand Jct is at the lowest elevation.

      Another hummingbird behavior modification was noted at
      the feeders. It seemed all five species of hummers
      were feeding without conflict. There are five feeders,
      all closely grouped and no way could a dominate hummer
      defend a feeder against the hoards. Vic Zerbi
      suggested this as a strategy a few years ago and it
      sure works. This may be the prefect environment in
      which to attract a rare hummer.

      On Wednesday we again found the Sandhill Cranes in
      Paradox Valley. This time the two adults had with them
      a single young, half grown. If you recall, one of the
      two adults has a missing foot. Montrose County had two
      nesting pair of SACR this summer.

      News from Nucla,
      Coen and Brenda

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs