Least Flycatchers in Gunnison Co!

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2005
      Today, I finally made it to the Neversink Trail at the east end of the Curecanti National Recreation Area (Gunnison County) to attempt to find the Least Flycatchers reported earlier this summer by Greg Schrott. I easily found them after crossing the large iron bridge about half way along the trail. In regards to this species on the west slope, Birds of Western Colorado - Plateau and Mesa Country says "Half a dozen reports from Escalante SWA in Delta County have all lacked convincing evidence". I would guess that there are at least 3 singing male LEFL present and that they are most likely breeding in the area. Their quick "CHEbik" song is easy to pick out and they were singing constantly while I was there from about 11am to noon. Other species included Fox Sparrow, Swainson's Hawk, Gray Catbird, Common Nighthawk, and many others that would be expected. The habitat here is amazing and has the most eastern-like deciduous forest that I have seen on the west slope.

      Thanks to Greg for finding and reporting these birds.

      Jason Beason
      Paonia
    • nic korte
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2005

        Rich Levad is again leading the owling for this year�s Grand Valley Audubon Society (GVAS) Xmas count.  This morning, we discussed setting a local record for western screech owl numbers.  While unlikely, setting a national record is also within reach.

        What we need are more owlers (no experience necessary) the morning of the Xmas count, Sunday December 18.  We would like to have ten two-person (four ears are better than two) teams from 6AM to 7AM .  All you would have to do is drive to designated locations, play a tape for 5 minutes, listen and record what you hear and move to the next nearby spot.  When you are finished, we�ll want immediate feedback by phone, email, or dropping off your results. That way, we can go back later in the day to areas where we think the owls were not cooperative and try again.

        Rich will provide the recordings, assign locations, and also do a morning �training� session for those in need of one.

        So, if you�d like to help on the Xmas count but have commitments during the day, here�s a way to help GVAS and be home in time for breakfast.  Please let me know if you are interested (also let me know if you've committed to doing a count sector and were already planning on calling before dawn.)(nkorte1@...).

        Make FREE PC-to-PC calls with MSN Messenger. Get it now!