Three-toed Woodpecker - Summit County

  • ahilf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7 6:15 AM
      At about 7:30PM on Wednesday, July 6, the Three-toed Woodpecker in Summit County previously reported by Ira Sanders was busy feeding a youngster.

      Last week, on my drive up to Steamboat Springs, I looked for the bird -- without any success.  Yesterday, on our way back to Denver, Lisa Williams and myself opened the car door and immediately heard tapping.  An adult male Three-toed Woodpecker was flaking bark and feeding a juvenile approximately 20 yards from the road.  The juvenile stayed inches away from the adult, patiently waiting for a goodie to be passed its way.

      The birds were near the Bailey Nesting Area, at the end of Rock Creek Road.  Rock Creek Road is about 7.4 miles north of I-70, off Hwy. 9 in Silverthorne. Take Rock Creek Road west off Hwy. 9, and stay on the main road until the public road ends.  You will pass the turn to the Bailey Nesting Area, which is marked only by a sign for the Rock Creek Trailhead.  There will be an entrance to Pebble Creek Ranch on your right -- keep going straight.  A few hundred yards further, the road becomes private and there is another entrance to the Pebble Creek Ranch.  There is a "snowplow turn around" area on the left before the private entrance -- park there. If you face the turn around area from the road, the birds were approximately 20 yards to the left of the turn around area.

      Allison Hilf
      Denver, CO
      cell (303) 888-5110