FW: Black Swift training

  • Rich Levad
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2005

      A training session for conducting Black Swift surveys will be offered to FS personnel and volunteers on July 18  & 19.  Participants will meet at Rifle Falls State Park at 5:00 p.m. on the 18th  to review the protocol and forms.  Following the review we will conduct a practice survey at Rifle Falls .  The following morning, we will visit an historical colony on No Name Creek and band nestlings if possible.  The final event will be a visit to three colonies at and near Hanging Lake for more practice with the protocols.

      Bring a good flashlight and hiking gear; the No Name colony is thee miles up the trail, and evening surveys continue until it is dark—about 8:30 p.m.  Hanging Lake is just a bit more than a mile, but involves about 1000 feet of elevation gain.  Camping is available at Rifle Falls and Rifle Gap State Parks , and Rifle has several motels.

      In the past six years, FS and Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory personnel have conducted surveys at more than 350 sites in Colorado and have expanded the state’s inventory of known colonies from about 35 to more than 100, which is about twice the inventory of the rest of the world.  Last year, we initiated a monitoring scheme, visiting a randomly chosen selection of these colonies and other apparently suitable sites.  Successfully executing this monitoring plan will require a significant amount of volunteer help.  If you are interested in helping out, please contact me and plan on attending this session.

      Rich Levad

      Special Monitoring Projects Coordinator

      Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory, West Office

      337 25 3/4 Road, Grand Junction , CO 81503

      Phone: 970-241-4674

      www.rmbo.org (check us out)

      Conserving Birds -- Rocky Mountains and Great Plains