Eckert Sandhill Cranes - where are they, where are they going?

  • Bill/Cheryl Day
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2008
      Tomorrow is the second part of our Eckert Sandhill Crane Days.
      Hopefully, with this beautiful weather we will have some cranes!

      The programs for this weekend are about the Gunnison Sage Grouse, with
      Jessica Young doing a program in the morning, and then she will be
      joining in a panel discussion with retired wildlife biologists from the
      CDOW and BLM, along with Dr. Pat McGee, Biology professor at Western
      State and founder of Sis-ka-dee. Read more at
      http://www.eckertcranedays.com You can also go to this website each
      night for a crane count, to see how many birds came in the night before.

      Evvy Horn and I were talking about the groups of Sandhill Cranes who
      seem to have been flying over Fruitgrowers Reservoir instead of stopping
      for the night. These groups are usually still very high in the air.

      I think that some of them turn around, needing to lose altitude to get
      to Fruitgrowers. But the numbers were down last year, from over 15,000
      to just over 8,000. So we think some cranes are overflying Fruitgrowers,
      going to different stops to overnight. And we sure haven't had many
      cranes so far, although our Del Norte correspondent assures us they
      haven't left yet. ;-)

      For the next three weeks, would everyone keep their eyes out for groups
      of cranes, and where they are landing for the night? We now have
      resident populations in Delta, Montrose and Grand Junction, so we have
      to distinguish between these groups.

      But anyone just a little further north of Fruitgrowers might know of
      places we don't.

      It would also help if someone would keep tabs on Paines Siding
      Reservoir, noting how many birds spend the night there. I know there is
      also a pond on Redlands Mesa that they frequently spend the night at.

      If the cranes aren't coming to Fruitgrowers in the numbers they used to,
      we need to know why. So thanks for any help you can give in this matter.
      You can contact Evelyn Horn < botnbird@... > or me about numbers,
      locations, etc.

      Thanks!

      Cheryl Day
      Hotchkiss
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2008
        SACR have roosted at both Cheney and 6&50 in the past, more so at Cheney.  I can't get to either place for a few days or I would!!  Larry
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)