California Gulls Sweitzer Lake Delta Cnty

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2008
      On Sat. I toured all the west-end lakes in Delta County.

      They were all full of gorgeous ducks...I saw every species that migrates
      through here I can think of except Blue-winged teal.

      The "good ducks", aka Cinnamon Teal,Shovelers, and Hooded mergansers,
      are on the smaller back ponds at Confluence Lake.
      Couldn't find the Thayers Gull but the white and blue geese were still
      there. There was a pair of Ross' Geese but no Greater White-fronted.

      I didn't find anything rare or early but did see a raft of a dozen
      California gulls floating on the lake at Sweitzer State Park.

      I returned to Fruitgrowers Reservoir yesterday and walked along the W.
      side of the lake, which is usually underwater when the res. is full.
      I was very impressed with the number of ducks [many hundreds, maybe
      thousands] that were along this side, not visible from the causeway.

      The geese are staking out nests and laying eggs. I saw some real down
      and dirty feather-flying fights. good action and lots of noise

      andrea robinsong
      hotchkiss